Water Trading

 Water Trading

News and announcements

Changes to the Victorian Water Trading Rules

Some of Victoria's water trading rules changed on 1 July 2014. 

Ovens/King changes 

Updates on water trading in the Ovens/King system are available here.

Broken system changes

Updates on water trading in the Broken system are  available here.

Review of trading rules for the Ovens/King system

Review of trading rules for the Ovens/King system

Review of allocation and trading rules for the Broken system

Issue paper - Review of allocation and trading rules for the Broken system

The Connections Project held water shares results from landowner purchases (strategic water purchases to facilitate Connections agreements) approved through the original Stage 1 Business Case (June 2009) and Stage 1 Business Case Addendum (May 2012) and acquisition of water shares through participation in the On-Farm Program and Reconfiguration Program.

The entitlements accruing from these purchases (other than those associated with the Reconfiguration Program – DEPI owned) are contributions to the project water savings and will be converted at the end of the project. The water shares and attaching allocation will remain within GMW control until that time.

Points to note:

  • As per previous years the trading will be administered by a panel of five water brokers
  • GMW (as owner of the water) is “blind” to the identity of the purchaser
  • Equal access to be given to all buyers including GMW irrigators
  • A minimum parcel of water allocation is 20 ML
  • Brokers are required to advise purchasers of the seller's identity, in this case GMW
  • Once trades have been approved they will be published on the GMW website

If you are buying, selling or moving water allocation, information and forms are available below.

Unregulated systems water trading

Fact Sheets: Temporary and Permanent Unregulated Surface Trading

Northern Victorian Unregulated trading zones

Exchange-rate trading opportunities between Unregulated and Regulated Trading Zones

Unregulated systems forms

For more information on Unregulated Systems water trading contact the GMW trading team on 1800 013 357

Regulated systems water trading




Trading information

Information updated 14th November 2019 at 8:50am.

Water Allocation Trade Applications Now processing applications received by GMW on:
Within GMW 14/11/2019
Trade between authorities


Interstate 14/10/2019
Number of applications processed to date in 2019/20 5,267
Volume of water traded to date 2019/20 (ML) 1,177,668


Water Share Applications  
Now approving applications received by GMW on


Number of applications processed to date 2019/20 1,143
Volume of water traded to date 2019/20 (ML) 62,148


Groundwater trading

Groundwater entitlement can be traded from one licence holder to another on a temporary or permanent basis throughout GMW’S region except in the Shepparton Irrigation Region Groundwater Management Area.

Find out more about Groundwater trading here.

Other information

Trading rules

Trading Rules are developed by the Water Register and govern the manner in which applications are processed.

Back trade

 Back trade rules are developed by the Water Register.

Historical data

Find historical water trading data published in GMW reports as well as links to external trading data report generators.


Applications to trade and vary water entitlements can be downloaded from the  Victorian Water Register and lodged with GMW.


Applications made to GMW: A description on fees for transactions lodged with the Water Register can be found here.

Applications made to the Water Register: A description on fees for transactions lodged with the Water Register can be found here.

Application assistance

During the Water Transfer application process, applicants may be required to sign a statutory declaration or receive consent from the existing land owner. For a full list of when these are required click here.

Download Statutory Declaration form for use with an application

  100 Point Check

Every time you apply to transfer a water share or to give a limited term transfer of a water share a 100 ID check form needs to be completed. GMW cannot process the above applications until each person signing the application as an owner (eg. seller) of the water share, or on the owner(s) behalf, has completed the 100 point identity check.

Download the 100 point check form for use with an application

  Water Entitlement Storage Fee Remittance Advice Form

When completing an application to Transfer or Divide and Transfer a Water Share, all outstanding Water Entitlement Storage Fees must be paid as a condition of our approval. This form should be attached to a cheque or can be used to record credit card details.

Download the Water Entitlement Storage Fee Remittance Advice Form for use with an application

Watershare ownership

The Victorian Water Registrar has legal responsibility for the Water Register, which was implemented for northern Victorian regulated systems on 1 July 2007, and declared water systems in southern Victoria on 1 July 2008.

For information about recording water share transactions, including transfers, mortgages, limited term transfers and discharges of mortgage that are recorded by the Victorian Water Registrar.

Water share ownership confirmation is conducted by the Victorian Water Registrars office. Please visit the Victorian Water Registrar website for further information and application forms.

Delivery share trading 

GMW Delivery Share trading rules and trading zone information is available here.

Water brokers

The Australian Water Brokers Association (AWBA) have a list of members available here, who may be able to assist GMW customers who are seeking to engage a broker prior to trading water.

Please email ea@awba.org.au if you wish to enquire about this list. 

Victorian Water Register

Get in touch with the Victorian Water Register by phoning 136 186, or visit the website at waterregister.vic.gov.au.

Contact Us at GMW

You can contact the GMW Water Trading team by phoning, free call, 1800 013 357. You can email us at reception@gmwater.com.au.