Transfer of Entitlements (Surface Water)

Goulburn-Murray Water (GMW) facilitates the permanent and temporary transfer of unregulated surfacewater licences under the provisions of Section 62 of the Water Act 1989.

Application forms are available at our Forms page.

Download a fact sheet, trading zone map or list of exchange rate trade opportunities here:

Why transfer an unregulated surfacewater licence?

Transferring a licence allows existing licence holders to maximise the value of their licence by trading their unused entitlement. Trading provides the opportunity for other licence holders in compatible trading zones to access additional water entitlement.

How do I find out if my licence can be transferred?

A Licence to Take and Use Water is issued within a particular trading zone which relates to the source of the water. Identifying the trading zone for the licence is the first step in determining where a licence can be traded to or from.

There are a number of other considerations that must be taken into account before G-MW can approve an application for a permanent transfer. Trading rules are specified in the Policies for Managing Take and Use Licences (the Policies) issued by the Minister for Water, and also specified in local management rules and management plans.

If I am purchasing a licence volume and I do not currently hold a licence do I need to apply separately?

Yes, before your trade can be approved you will need to apply for a Licence to Take and Use Water. This application will be assessed and a site inspection will be undertaken to review the existing or proposed pump site.

If this application is approved you will be issued with a licence to Take and use Water which will contain a number of licence conditions relating to the take and use of water you trade in.

Where can I access more information about trading opportunities and current prices in my area?

You should download the fact sheets which contain information about trading rules and procedures. You can also contact the Licensing Unit at GMW to confirm the trading rules applicable to your licence prior to proceeding to purchase or sell a licence.

GMW cannot provide you with information on the current market value of water. If you decide to proceed with an application, information about market activity and pricing can be obtained from your local water broker. Details of brokers in your area can be located in the Yellow Pages or through advertisements in your local newspaper.