Duck hunting is permitted in certain areas of GMW storages during the Victorian Duck Hunting Season. Recreation reserves and water distribution and irrigation assets are off limits to hunters.
The 2017 duck hunting season will open on Saturday 18 March and close on Monday 12 June.
The season will have a normal length of twelve weeks, and standard bag limits will apply. This is 10 birds per person per day.
Please note, there is a continued ban on hunting the Blue-winged shoveler for the entire season.
Duck hunters need to be aware that private property can adjoin GMW land, waterways and storages, and hunters are required to seek the consent of the landholder to hunt or pass through private property.
Hunters should respect private property and the rights of landholders and others not participating in duck hunting activities.
Hunting is generally not permitted in National Parks, State Parks, Conservation and Flora Fauna Reserves but some exceptions may apply. For information about hunting in these areas contact Parks Victoria on 13 19 63.
For more information, refer to the maps below.
Duck Hunting Maps
Please note that public access for any purpose (including duck hunting) is prohibited along GMW’s channel system at all times.
Our water storages are used by many people for a range of activities and it’s important that all visitors, including hunters, consider other members of the public and the environment by acting in a safe and responsible manner.
Hunters must not shoot in public recreational areas and around storage assets, even during duck hunting season.
For information on populous places and responsibilities under the Firearms Act 1996, visit the Victoria Police website.
Please note that:
- Camping is not permitted on GMW managed foreshore or perimeter land (with the exception of Commercial Caravan Parks and Clubs)
- Campfires are not permitted in GMW reserves or foreshore and lakebed areas. Electric barbecues are available at some reserves (see map)
- No rubbish services are available in GMW managed recreation reserves, please take your rubbish home and dispose of appropriately.
- Duck hunting is now allowed along the GMW channel network at any time.
For more information about how to have a safe and successful duck season, visit the Game Management Authority website.
- Irresponsible, unsafe or illegal behaviour related to duck hunting can be reported anonymously to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning by phoning 136 186.
- All firearms related issued or incidents should be reported to the Victoria Police by dialing 000.