| Road closures
Yourang Rd, Cobram East - reopening expected 21/6/2018
Zegelin Rd, between Murdoch & Taskers Rd, Rochester – reopening expected 15/8/2018
Pyramid-Cohuna Rd, Mincha West – closing 13/6/2018 and reopening expected 10/7/2018
Ladson Rd, Mincha West - reopening expected 12/6/2018
Pinks Rd, Boort – reopening expected 15/8/2018
Hamleys Rd, Dingee – reopening expected 15/8/2018
Goulburn-Murray Water’s (GMW) 2018 Winter Works program began in May to complete a range of works across the Goulburn-Murray Irrigation District (GMID) during the off season.
This year the Campaspe Siphon Relining Project will be a key focus, which will see the existing siphon relined with fibre reinforced concrete.
Work on the Bull Siphon, east of the Campaspe Siphon, will be another significant project.
The entire Winter Works period is estimated to see $5.5 million spent on structure works, with ten crews assigned for this winter program.
Approximately $4.5 million will be spent on the linear (channel remediation) works program, with five crews assigned across nine sites in the GMID.
While GMW has 41 structures programmed to be completed during our Winter Works period, additional structures were able to be planned and completed during the irrigation season. This will take the total to 63 structures within the 2017/18 program.
In addition to the Campaspe Siphon and Bull Siphon works, other structural projects include:
- Upgrading a road culvert in Torrumbarry with 2.1m diameter reinforced concrete pipes. One headwall will be installed on one side, which is a cost-saving initiative and will eliminate the need to install a second headwall. Budgeted at $214,000.
- Refurbishing two road bridges in Torrumbarry, with a project cost of $185,000 each. A cost saving will be achieved by utilising the same crew on both projects.
- Upgrading rail crossings in the Central Goulburn area – GMW will manage the design and construction contract with V/Line. Two crossings will be upgraded, and both assets are at least 100 years old.
- Replacing the East Goulburn 2 channel siphons in Shepparton. The two barrels are old and prone to leakage, and will be replaced with a single-barrel reinforced concrete pipe. This project is budgeted at $480,000.
A road crossing will also be replaced with a 36m long 1050mm diameter pipe, budgeted at $120,000.
- In Murray Valley, projects include replacement of a road crossing at Yourang Rd, and replacement of a road crossing on the Murray Valley Number 1 Channel, budgeted at $293,000 and $311,000.
- In Central Goulburn, an occupational crossing on a landowner property will be replaced with a 12m long box culvert, budgeted at $166,000.
- In Loddon Valley, a section of the Western Waranga Channel will be replaced with a 17m long box culvert, with works budgeted at $220,00.
Key linear winter works projects include:
- Three sites in the Murray Valley area
- Two sites in Shepparton
- Two sites in Rochester
- One site in Loddon Valley
- One site in Torrumbarry
In Shepparton, geocomposite lining will be trialled at one site, where half of the works were completed in the irrigation season and the other half scheduled to be completed during the Winter Works period.
Other major projects that will be undertaken in the off-season include the Torrumbarry Lock refurbishment and the Lake Mulwala foreshore erosion protection works.