The 2018 Victorian duck hunting season is set to open on Saturday March 17 and Goulburn-Murray Water (GMW) is reminding those taking part to familiarise themselves with designated hunting areas at the water corporation’s lakes, dams and reservoirs.
Hunting is permitted at Cairn Curran Reservoir, Hume Reservoir, Tullaroop Reservoir, Lake Eppalock, Laanecoorie Reservoir, Greens Lake, Lake Eildon, Lake Buffalo, Waranga Basin, Lake Charm, Kangaroo Lake, Racecourse Lake, Lake Nillahcootie, Lake Nagambie and Goulburn Weir.
GMW Manager Recreation and Land Strategy, David Jackson, said maps are available on the GMW website at www.gmwater.com.au/duckhunting, providing more information about designated hunting areas and public safety.
"Our water storages are also used by people for recreational purposes other than hunting, so it is important to know the prohibited areas and always keep in mind everyone’s safety," Mr Jackson said.
GMW also encourages hunters to remember:
- Private property can adjoin GMW land, waterways and storages, so you need to seek the consent of landholders to hunt or pass through their private property;
- Duck hunting is not allowed along the GMW channel network at any time;
- The use of firearms and hunting in public recreational areas and around storage assets is prohibited;
- Blue-green algae may be present at GMW storages. There are currently warnings for blue-green algae at Lake Eppalock, Laanecoorie and Cairn Curran Reservoirs and Lake Charm (as at 27/02/2018). Blue-green algae contain toxins that are harmful to humans and animals. For the latest warnings and advice visit: www.g-mwater.com.au/news/bga
- For information about hunting in National Parks, State Parks and Conservation and Flora Fauna Reserves phone Parks Victoria on 13 19 63;
- Unsafe and unlawful behaviour should be reported to the Victorian Game Management Authority by phoning 13 61 86, and;
- Victoria Police should be contacted on 000 for incidents relating to firearms.
The 2018 duck hunting season runs for a 12-week period until June 11.
Significant changes have been made to season opening times and regulations and hunters will need to be aware of these and other important requirements for the 2018 season.
Visit the Victorian Game Management Authority website for more information on 2018 duck season arrangements and regulations.