Plan your carryover now

Thursday 18 May, 2017

Good spring rains, healthy supplies in our storages and historic trends suggest many of our customers will have some choices to make with regards to Carryover water prior to 30 June.

However for the many customers who won’t use all of their allocation, it’s important they know and understand their options with unused water.

Please be aware that customers may sell their unused water.  

Customers can find a buyer or use a water broker or solicitor to find one for them. We provide application forms and information on end-of-season water trading on our website.

Trade applications must be lodged with us by 27 June, or 30 June if the application is made online.

Some customers have the option keeping some or all of their unused water allocation from this irrigation season into the next, where it can be used or traded as normal. This is termed “carryover”.

Carryover is an automated process. Customers should review their details through their WaterLINE account to ensure that the volume they expect to carryover is linked to the correct allocation accounts.

If a customer does not wish to use, sell or carryover their unused water, they can apply to relinquish their allocation. There is no charge to relinquish water.

To relinquish water, applications must be lodged with GMW by 27 June, or 30 June if the application is made online. Relinquishing water stops the automated carryover process and means customers with more allocation than entitlement will avoid an above entitlement fee.

For more information about carryover, using, selling or relinquishing water allocations, visit our website on, the Victorian Water Register website, or phone GMW’s Customer Service Centre on  1800 013 357.

A carryover calculator is also available on the Victorian Water Register website and can help customers understand how the carryover rules apply to their system.