Carryover refers to the arrangement that allows water entitlement holders to take their unused water allocation from this irrigation season, into next season.
Carryover is available to water entitlement holders on the Campaspe, Goulburn and Murray systems, the Bullarook and Loddon systems, and the Broken system. The systems have slightly different carryover rules to match their specific entitlements and hydrology.
- On the Campaspe, Goulburn and Murray systems water entitlement holders can carry over a maximum value equal to the water share linked to their allocation account.
- The How carryover works on the Murray, Goulburn & Campaspe fact sheet, available on the Victorian Water Register website, provides additional information.
- On the Bullarook and Loddon systems water entitlement holders can carry over a maximum volume equal to 50% of their high-reliability water share and 50% of their low-reliability water share.
- On the Broken system water entitlement holders can carry over a maximum volume equal to 50% of their high-reliability water share only.
Carryover is also available to groundwater water entitlement holders.
Groundwater carryover works in much the same way as water entitlement carryover, although it is limited to a percentage of the licence volume in each area:
- Mid Loddon GMA - 30%
- Mid Goulburn GMA - 20%
- Lower Campaspe Valley GMA - 25%
- Loddon Highlands GMA - 15%
Carryover is not available to water entitlement holders on the Ovens and King systems or in the Tungamah and Loddon water districts, where water storages are too small to support carryover.
The carryover calculator available on the Victorian Water Register website can help water entitlement holders understand how the rules apply to their system.
||Water entitlement holders who choose to carry over their unused water allocation must ensure the allocation they wish to carry over is in an allocation account linked to a:
before 5pm Tuesday 27 June 2018.
- water share
- limited term transfer of a water share
- supply by agreement
If the unused water allocation is not in a linked account, it will be returned to the pool for new allocations next season.
Visit the Victorian Water Register website
Phone the GMW Customer Service Centre on 1800 013 357
Seek professional advice from an experienced water broker or solicitor if you're unsure about your options.