News and Announcements
Land and On-Water Management Plan
The Nagambie Waterways Land and On-Water Management Plan aims to bring together key agencies, stakeholder groups and the community to realise the potential of the waterway's environmental, cultural and recreational values.
The Plan will be implemented by the Nagambie Waterways Advisory Committee.
For more information on the GMW Land and On-Water Management Plans, subscribe to e-Storage Updates here.
Expressions of Interest now open for Nagambie Waterways Advisory Committee
Waterway Manager Strathbogie Shire is seeking expressions of interest from the community, business sector and tourism industry with a range of skills, knowledge and experience, to become members of the Nagambie Waterways Advisory Committee.
The Committee will advise on the review and implementation of key strategic waterway plans of GMW and Strathbogie Shire, with the aim of bringing together key agencies, stakeholder groups and the community to realise the waterways' potential and protect its values and attributes.
The Committee will include representatives from Council, community and business, and other specialist groups and agencies involved in the management and provision of services for the Nagambie Waterways.
Community Representatives will comprise up to six members of the 12 member committee.
For an Expression of Interest Form, including the Key Selection Criteria for the Committee, contact Strathbogie Shire by phoning 1800 065 993 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
A copy of the Nagambie Waterways L&OWMP can be downloaded here.
A copy of the Nagambie Waterways Recreational and Commercial Strategy can be downloaded here.
For more information on Jetties please visit our Jetties webpage
About Goulburn Weir
Goulburn Weir is located on the Goulburn River, approximately 8 km north of Nagambie.
The construction of a weir on the Goulburn River began in 1887, and was completed in 1891. The Goulburn Weir was the first major diversion structure built for irrigation in Australia and was considered very advanced for the time. Such was the regard for the structure, it appeared on the reverse of Australian half sovereign and ten shilling banknotes from 1913 until 1933.
Goulburn Weir is a concrete structure founded on bedrock, with its downstream face stepped with granite blocks quarried from the nearby Mt Black.
The metal superstructure of the original weir included 21 cast iron and wrought iron gates mounted between cast iron piers. The gates could be lowered into recesses in the weir crest to pass river and flood flows. Water‑driven turbines provided the power to lower and raise the gates.
The structure also contained one of the first hydro-electric turbines in the southern hemisphere. The electricity was used to illuminate the weir and visitors came from all over Victoria to marvel at the steady bright electric light and floodlit water spray when the gates were operated at night. Goulburn Weir became an important venue for social and recreational events.
Works to stabilise the deteriorating weir structure were completed in 1983, and in 1987 a major refurbishment was undertaken. The work included advice on architectural and heritage matters from expert consultants, and the engagement of specialist contractors.
As part of the works, the main weir superstructure was replaced with nine steel radial gates mounted between concrete piers forming the new structure. Two of the original gates and lifting gear, mounted on the angled western abutment, were retained to preserve part of this unique piece of engineering history.
In 1988, the refurbishment work was awarded the Engineering Excellence Award, Public Works Section ‘for stabilisation and reconstruction of a superstructure and retention of heritage value and charm' by the Institution of Engineers Australia (Victoria Division).
Goulburn Weir raises the level of the Goulburn River so that water can be diverted by gravity along the Stuart Murray Canal, Cattanach Canal and the East Goulburn Main Channel.
Diversions to the East Goulburn Main Channel supply the Shepparton Irrigation Area. The Stuart Murray Canal supplies part of the Central Goulburn Irrigation Area. Both the Stuart Murray Canal and the Cattanach Canals are used to divert water to Waranga Basin for further supplies to the Goulburn irrigation system.
The weir also forms Lake Nagambie around which recreation, farming and housing developments have grown.